Saturday 14 September 2013

The Internet #firstworldproblems

Saturday 14th of September.


Do you ever reward yourself with two hours of Tumblr, Twitter or whatever that you go on, just because you wrote your name on your school homework? The Internet can be a distraction, trust me I know. Even at school, when I supposed to be listening to the teacher, I’m on my laptop scrolling down my twitter timeline or my tumblr dashboard, but I’m not the only one, one look at any of my fellow classmates’s laptop screen and you’ll see that they are doing the same. Anyway, it always ends the same way, I never get my homework done on time and I pull an all-nighter. But what makes us so addicted to be on these social networking sites? Is it that we want to know what people are doing, every second of every day or is it the pure boredom of school work? and yes, scrolling down a site is way more easier than writing/typing notes. But is this what we want to remember when look back into our days of high schooling? I guess, you can’t really blame us, we do live in the 21st century, where technology surrounds us. 


Three days ago my school wifi died, so basically the whole school didn’t have internet. So there was no online celebrity stalking (HOT: Niall in Melbourne), Tumblr or Twitter. Students were panicking and teachers were saying, ‘What do you think kids did back in the past, when there was no such thing as the Internet?’ But the thing is, we don’t live in the past, we live in 2013, where we depend on the Internet and the technology that is provided for us. Our printers are connected by wifi, and so are our class rolls. Not only that, most our notes are given to us by a social networking site for schools called “Edmodo.”  Also most of us have a “school” twitter account, some of our teachers get us to tweet a reflection of what we did in that class. 

The quote by J.K Rowling, “The internet has been a boon and a curse for teenagers,” is so true. I mean think about it. It is “boon” as it helpful, as it helps us complete our homework ;), we can explore a topic/interest more deeply, and most of all, we have that access of unlimited information. Also, just like she said it is a “curse”, how many of us procrastinate? Not get things done on time? Well, I for one delay all the boring stuff to have a lazy night doing nothing. 

So because I am a “procrastinator” and a typical lazy person, I decided to ask my friends of how they avoid the internet while doing work that needs to be done, this is the list that I have constructed their responses: 

If you have any Apple device download an APP called iProcrastinate, this is really handy as it helps you to organise all the tasks that have to be done. 

Make yourself a timetable.

Deactivate your accounts when studying for finals or exams.

Make a collage of Procrastinate quotes and make it your desktop to inspire you.

If you have school diary, use it. Writing down a list then ticking them off as you complete them, gives you the satisfaction of accomplishment. 

Turn your wifi off, or give your laptop, iPads, desktop, tablet, phone or whatever device you use to a sibling or parent while you are doing your work.

Just think to yourself of the free time you’ll have after you do your homework.

 Maintain you cravings.

I hope this blog helps you on the #firstworldproblem The Internet while doing school work. :) Anyway so long and farewell, Auf Wiedersehen, goodnightt. (Sound of Music is one of my favourite movies!)

Kind Regards,

Me. xox
                                                                   ¸.•´.•´¨) ¸.•¨)
                                                                (¸.•´(¸.•´ (¸.•¨¯`* ♥

Image Source: http://th05.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2010/338/b/9/map_of_the_internet_by_tophthetomboy-d348wf0.png

No comments:

Post a Comment